We Are People Too is a short documentary made entirely by and about Matraville High’s students with disabilities in their support unit. The film highlights the personal achievements of five students whose life journey hasn’t been made easy, either because of the obstacles presented by their disabilities or because of limiting beliefs placed on them by society. In spite of this, they have all succeeded in achieving mainstream goals and dreams – they are an example and inspiration to all.
2019’s Focus on Ability (FOA) festival had an astonishing 245 entries, including 104 school entries and 61 international films. Following successful screenings in 2018 around Australia, New Zealand, New York, Zimbabwe and Malawi, in 2019 the competition received entries from 26 countries.
Celebrating 11 years in 2019, the FOA Awards are designed to encourage filmmakers to focus on the ability of people with disability.
As a finalist, Matraville Sports High School is in the running to win one of these great prizes:
- Judges Choice – Documentary: Toshiba package valued at $7,000
- Most Online Votes – Schools: $5,000 Harvey Norman voucher and a Fox Studios DVD Library Package
- NOVA Employment School Choice Awards: Five winners each receive $1,000 cash.
Vote for Matraville Sports High School by heading to www.focusonability.com.au Voting starts on 20 June, 2019 and ends 3 July, 2019.
Voters also go in the running to win $50 iTunes vouchers. One vote per category. The six categories are:
- Australia & New Zealand Schools Documentary
- Australia & New Zealand Schools Short Film
- Australian Open Documentary
- Australian Open Short Film
- International Short Film
- International Documentary
Source: Matraville Sports High School